7/7/10

The Tomato Jungle

I'm interested in a number of different topics at any given time.

A few of those interests include; vegetable gardening, snowboarding, hunting, fishing, classic muscle cars, classic SUVs of the 70s and 80s, survival and preparedness and of course being Canadian my extreme passion for Hockey (both playing myself and watching my beloved Maple Leafs).

I publish Comic books and Graphic Novels for a living and also participate in the production of cartoons and other entertainment mediums. I'm sure I'll be touching on those along the way.

At the moment I am spending a lot of my free time learning and practicing vegetable gardening. Currently I am growing 3 different varieties of tomato, sweet and hot peppers, carrots, basil, dill and cilantro. I am an amateur gardener. This is my second summer gardening and I am learning as I go. Above you can see the size of one of my tomato plants of the "Black Krim" variety when I first put in the ground in late March. If you can believe it, here is a picture of it now, just a little over 3 months later...

It has grown to almost 6 feet tall!! The "Black Krim" variety seems to be flourishing in my garden. The San Diego variety is not growing as large but has already begun to fruit. The larger "Black Krim" started to bare any fruit.
This is the least of my worries right now. Over the last week I have been over run by slugs and snails in my garden. I have lost ALL of my pepper plants. Both sweet and hot. They have been eaten. Destroyed. Decimated. Observe. These 3 pictures were taken over a 1 week period!!

The slugs and snails have completely destroyed my sweet pepper plants which I have been cultivating since germinating the seeds in late February!! I have tried all the tricks in the book regarding slugs and snails and it seems as though I have finally beaten them. Too late however. All my peppers are gone.

The peppers aren't the only victim. At least the stems are still there. My cucumbers are gone. The only thing remaining is the little white planting label stuck in the ground where the plant used to be.

I will be back outside tonight. Hunched over with a head lamp and salt shaker. I should get a video of what happens to a slug when you shake a little salt onto it. Seems cruel but if you felt the pain that I do after cultivating these plants for months only to have them eaten in a matter of days by a gang of slimy sliders, a little slug destruction is the only thing making me feel a little bit better. Stay tuned for a slug terminator video.



No comments:

Post a Comment